natural and putting less impact on the environment is an admirable and
eco-friendly way to enhance your wedding day. It will take a little more
creativity and thought but, the end result will surely reflect the earth-loving
couple that you are. Here are some ways that we at Wedding Connections
believe you too can stick to your special wedding dreams and still save
the planet !!
1. Start out with some eco-friendly announcements. Instead of using
wood generated paper, try paper made of bamboo, kenaf or hemp. When
printing request soy based inks or hand letter them yourself with a
nontoxic pencil or water-based markers. Have guests RSVP via the phone,
or e-mail to cut down on more paper waste.
2. Choose ceremony and reception sites that are naturally beautiful.
This can include parks, beaches, vineyards, gardens, lakes, etc. Consider a caterer that follows eco-friendly practices. There are many reception sites that will not allow
you to bring in your own caterer, but there are many that do.
3. There are many caterers who will provide vegetarian options
that will accommodate your guest.
4. Getting your guest to the reception site. Consider pedicabs to transport your guest from parking lot to reception site or
taxi or golf cart for pick up and delivery. Carpooling is another option.
Guests who come from the same area should be encouraged to carpool. Include carpooling option information when sending out your invitations.
5. What dress to choose. Now-a-days there are plenty of natural fiber options, such as cotton
and silk. Be sure to inquire about chemical dyes and synthetic materials
used to create the dress. If it is difficult to find what you want you
can always have a dress custom designed. You don not have to be a celebrity
to take this option!
6. Play music at your pre-ceremony that resembles your natural surroundings
such as music of birds, ocean waves, babbling brooks, or dolphin sounds.
7. For the reception try decorating tables with potted plants and flowers
(that guests can take home) or rent them from a plant company
8. For an evening wedding ceremony or reception use candles to light
the way. Make sure they are soy long lasting candles. This
will also create a beautiful, intimate wedding atmosphere.
9. Use washable towels and natural soaps as well as recycled paper towels
and tissue in the restrooms at the reception facility.
10. Opt for nontoxic soap to blow bubbles as the bride and groom leave
for their honeymoon or use eco-friendly bird seed instead
rice that will harm birds.
11. Give your bridal party gifts of scented candles, gift certificates
to sporting goods stores, nature CDs, recycled paper and soy-based ink
pens, massage therapy gift certificates, etc.
12. Finally, the honeymoon beckons. How about a Nature Conservancy Adventure
on protected land, backpacking on the Pacific Crest Trail and collecting
trash along the way, or visit the rain forest in Costa Rica.